1. You ever see a horror movie that was so horrific that it stopped being 100% entertaining? This is one like that. These characters suffer in awful, bloody ways.
2. Note to self: if a Mayan is ever waving a gun at you and shouting in Mayan, look around to see if there's an evil vine anywhere nearby from which he might be trying to warn you away.
3. Not to get all film history on you, but with the way the vines attack and invade its victims, there are interesting echoes here to Cold War "Other" horror films of the 1950s and 1960s like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
4. In the book, it was the Greek who fell down the shaft, not the German.
5. If you're going hiking in the Mexican jungle, don't wear flip flops.
6. Actress Laura Ramsey, heretofore unknown by the Cheese Fry, is mighty fine. That is no joke.
7. Do you know what septicemia is? It's apparently something that is to be avoided at all costs. All costs.
8. A great example of how to condense a 300 page novel into a 90 minute movie. Some characters are combined, some plot points omitted or tweaked. Nicely done.